Lower Class Brats at Austin's Fun Fun Fun Fest photo by jeff barringer - staff photographer
Geez, this one is going to be hard!
I saw so many good bands and performers picking 10 sets from among the hundreds I have seen this year will not be easy.
I went to SXSW, ACL Fest, Fun Fun Fun Fest, plus dozens and dozens of other shows, usually with multiple bands. I saw punk shows, emo shows, 14 flavors of metal shows, acoustic sets, electro-dance, brit-pop, reggae, and on and on. I also visited many of Austin's major and minor venues from the legendary such as Antone's to the occasional like The Jackalope and The Ritz.
Picking my list from 2007 will probably be even harder
1. James Brown at Stubb's - What can I say about the legend?
2. The Zico Chain at SXSW - I still keep coming back to the Zico Chain. Hope they come back for SXSW again. If they do I will be there and so will the ghost of Kurt Cobain.
3. Drums and Tuba at Austin Music Hall - These guys are so good it's spooky. Dark, moody, Tool with a Fluegelhorn.
4. Dropping Daylight at La Zona Rosa - Could teach Billy Joel what a piano is really used for.
5. Linea 77 at SXSW - These guys prove that Italy knows how to rock.
6. Deadboy and the Elephantmen at Emo's - Stripped, raw, basic.
7. Broken Teeth at Red Eyed Fly - McMaster and crew still have it and know how to work the crowd.
8. Buckethead at La Zona Rosa - I am still picking the feathers out of my camera bag.
9. Lower Class Brats at Fun Fun Fun Fest - These guys alone were worth the price of admission.
10. Les Claypool and His Fancy Band - I couldn't decide between this and Primus but I think Gabby La La and her sitar make the difference.
So many others deserve mention like Ghostland Observatory, Slayer, Teabag, Mower, Peaches, Trish Murphy, and so many more. Austin just has so so much great live music, both home grown and touring, I can't hope to cover it all by myself, but I am willing to die or go deaf trying.
If I had to choose... and in order by date.. not preference... and I'll do 15..that I shot.. You can see the shots online at my site: http://www.seanclaes.com/musicphotos.html
1. Full Service @ Flamingo Cantina (1/07/06)
2. Los Lobos @ La Zona Rosa (1/21/06)
3. Darrell Scott, Jeff Black, and Folk Uke @ Gibson Guitar Showroom (2/22/06)
4. Riverboat Gamblers @ Jackalope (3/15/06)
5. Hank Williams III @ Stubbs - 5/23/06
6. Ray Cashman @ Mean Eyed Cat (8/10/06)
7. Jabarvy @ The Parish (8/10/06)
8. Grupo Fantasma @ The Parish Room (9/08/06)
9. ACL Fest - Ian McLagan and the Bump Band, Los Lobos, Charlie Sexton, Guy Clark, South Austin Jug Band (9/16/06)
10. >Health Alliance for Austin Musicians Day (porterdavis @ Amy's Ice Cream) (10/3/06)
11. Loss Rayne, Malford Milligan @ The Alligator Grill (10/14/06)
12. Drew Smith @ Momo's (11/02/06)
13. Blue October/Wideawake @ Stubbs 11/25/06
14. Shrapnel, Lonestar Pornstar, Nooner, Hundred Year Storm, and Bayta Darell @ The Parish (12/08/06)
15. Meyvn, Manifesto, The August Valentine, and Shrapnel @ The Backroom (12/30/06)